Monday, August 17, 2009

"Leaving Well"

Sermon August 16th, 2009
Acts 20:17-24, 32-35

Paul has come to the end of his missionary journey in Asia. He has gathered up the elders of Ephesus to say good-bye. But he does more than just say good-bye. Paul leaves them in a manner that benefits both Paul and the elders. To use a coined phrase, Paul “leaves well.” He does not leave saying he was sorry he ever step foot in Asia. Paul does not leave mad, angry, or upset, but rather he leaves, having given himself and the group with whom he has lived and worked, closure.

Paul makes a lengthy farewell speech which can be divided into what I believe is three sections.
Scholar Robert Wall calls the first part of Paul’s farewell speech the apologia. An apologia is not an apology to say I’m sorry, rather it is a justification of a belief or mission that has taken place. Paul knows what his missionary experience in Asia was an event ordained by God, not just a mere coincidence. Paul was called by the Holy Spirit to minister to the people in Asia and to testify to the good news of God. When we hear the first part of his speech, Paul is leaving his legacy with the elders about the work he has done Asia. Paul recounts that he has lived in Asia as a witness to God, “serving the Lord with all humility and with tears, enduring the trails that came to him through the plots of the Jews.” He reminds the elders how did not back down from doing anything helpful, proclaiming God’s message to Asia and teaching the people in public areas and in their own homes. Paul’s work in Asia has been to testify to both the Jews and the Greeks about repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord. Paul is leaving a good legacy and one in which he urges the elders to carry on in the latter half of his farewell speech.

The switch to second part of Paul’s speech occurs as he is prophesying about his departure. Paul says: “And now, as a captive to the Spirit, I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there.”

Paul knows that rough times and persecution are ahead of him, but he also knows that he must “finish his course and the ministry that he received from the Lord Jesus, which is to testify to the good news of God’s grace.”

There is something intriguing to me about this part of Paul’s address to the elders. The verse that captures my attention is Paul’s description of being captive to the Spirit. Being captive is a word that implies being held against one’s will like a prisoner or being restrained by circumstances that prevent free choice. In our vocabulary it has a negative connotation because we often link it with being held captive in war.

But for Paul being captive to the Spirit is a positive duty. Sure it may come with risks and challenges and disappointments, but it is a privilege to be captive by the Holy Spirit and Paul goes where God leads him. Paul does not run in the other direction like Jonah, rather he goes to Miletus and then follows the Spirit to Jerusalem. Paul has also been to Athens, Corinth, Antioch, Macedonia, Greece, and Ephesus. Paul does not set an agenda for himself and strictly follow it; in fact he does not set a personal agenda for himself at all. Rather Paul follows only one agenda that of God’s will. Paul may not always know what God’s agenda holds for him, but he is committed to being God’s disciple.

The third part of Paul’s speech comes toward the end and it takes the form of a charge and
benediction. Paul says: “I commend you to God and to the message of his grace, a message that is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all who are sanctified…In all this I have given you an example that by such work we must support the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, for he himself said, ‘it is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

Paul is making the last of his speech at this point and his charge and benediction mark the finality of his departure along with the actions prayer and of the elders kissing him and walking with him to the boat.

Paul had a keen awareness about what it meant to be a disciple of God. He also knew how to provide closure for a group of elders whom he has been working and living with for some time. Paul knew how to say goodbye and he did quite well. He spoke about the work that had been accomplishment through God, he told them of his call to move forward and to follow not his own agenda but God’s agenda, and he affirmed the elders saying: “continue to be God’s people, caring for them, supporting them, and spreading the good news of God in my absence.”

Covenant Presbyterian Church, the time has come for me to say my goodbyes. Just like Paul, I to feel that are joining together this summer was not mere coincidence, but rather ordained by God. It has been a wonderful journey these past ten weeks. We have worked together in all ways. We have taught each other and learned from each other. I’m especially thankful that this church gave me the opportunity to learn and grow in my ministry, giving me the feedback, care, and support I needed to become a better pastor. Preaching and being involved in other areas of worship afford me the opportunity to experiment a little with the order of worship. I was able to enhance my gifts for preaching and voice projection when the sound system went out. Teaching The Greener Side of Faith and one of the series in You on a Journey gave me insight into finding your passions and thinking about how best to discuss them. Your overall warmth, support, encouragement and trust were and are deeply appreciated. Whether you realize it or not you have made a mark on the future of the church by being open to God’s guidance and will, and affording me the chance to further my calling. What great things God has done in our midst!

Using the same words that Paul said to the elders of Ephesus, I say to you: “And now, as a captive to the Spirit, I am on my way to Union Presbyterian Seminary, not knowing what will happen to me there.” I know I must return to Union and finish my education and to continue to discern my calling not knowing where or how God will us me. I must remain open to God’s agenda and not my own. I must “finish my course work and continue the calling that I received from God.” I will carry with the things I learned from Covenant and I will do my best.

As I leave this place to continue in my learning process, I want to challenge you all to continue being a church, made up of people both young and old. I encourage you to continue building up your community and I pray that you always follow God’s will not your own personal agendas. Continue to be a people of God who spread the good news of the Gospel. Be a people of God who will relay on God and who will be open to changes according to God’s will because God is making all things new.

Let us as a community of faith keep each other in our prayers, pass the peace of Christ to each other and walk each other toward the our departure points.

Remember these words from Dr. Seuss: “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”

Goodbye, farewell. Amen.

No comments: