The title of this blog may seem weird to some of you, but in the context of the Jan term class I'm thinking it is fitting. The class is called Ministering to Families of Alcoholics. The nickname is not to poke fun at those people who suffer from addictions at all. So I hope no one takes offense. Some people in my class are recovering addicts and they are very open about their struggle and the grace of God. I think this is something that is important and over looked in our society. I hope the following entry taken from a daily journal I'm required to do for the class, will help give some insight into God's grace that is for everyone.
Tonight while looking through a book for the spring term, I happened to open the book to a very fitting prayer. It comes from the book: Prayers from the Confessions by Augustine of Hippo. The title of the piece is: You did not let go of my soul. I feel it fitting to share this prayer in my daily journal. It reads as following:
Thanks to your hidden providence, O my God,
yours hands did not let go of my soul.
Through my mother’s tears
the sacrifice of her heart’s blood
was being offered to you day after day,
night after night,
for my welfare;
and you dealt with me in wondrous ways.
You, my God, you it was who dealt so with me;
for our steps are directed by the Lord,
and our way is of his choosing.
What other provision is there for our salvation,
but your hand that remakes what you have made?
This prayer reminds me of the potter and the clay story in the Old Testament where the potter is continually reworking his clay until it is perfect, just like God is continually reworking us until we are made complete and perfect in God’s eyes. Just like God is reworking and not letting go of us no matter what addictions we may hold in the center of lives. God is giving us grace we do not deserve and can not earn. God is giving us second, third, fourth, and fifth chances, maybe more. I believe that one thing God does through God’s grace is to remind us that when the time comes we will no longer reject God, we will no longer reject each other, and God promises to us that we will no longer sin and the world will be at peace.
2 comments:
Hey Jen - I happened upon your journal from Facebook and was really interested by this post and beautiful prayer. How did that class turn out? I'd love to talk with you about it some time!
Amanda Wells
Hey Jen - I happened upon your journal from Facebook and was really interested by this post! How did that class turn out? I'd love to talk with you about it some time.
Amanda Wells
Post a Comment